Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Next few days in Australia:

I know you are probably sick of hearing (reading) me say this, but I feel like I need to say it again.  It is WAY too hot for me here!  I never thought I would miss snow within hours of arriving!  While walking around in my adventures below I actually had people laughing at how sweaty and distressed I was.  One girl actually said to me, “it’s not THAT hot!”  Unfortunately I was too hot to think of a witty response so I snapped back with a very clever, “um, yes it is.”

 

Aaaaaanyway, I quickly exhausted the number of things I had to take care of on campus, so I eventually started exploring off campus.  On my first trip out I wandered around for a few hours trying to find something useful and eventually found a great multi level shopping mall hidden within a city block.  Upon entering I was greeted with a very familiar site…  Kmart!

 

I had never been so happy to see a Kmart!!  I ran in overjoyed, arms waving and sweat flying from my flapping limbs.  I started grabbing goods left and right!  I got shampoos and soaps, yogurt topped muesli bars (now the staple of my diet), a towel, a cup so I could drink water like a normal person, and some sunscreen which I desperately needed!  I also got what I consider my greatest investment to date.  A small electric fan!  When I am in my room it is ALWAYS sitting directly in front of me on full power (as it is right now).

 

I adore my fan.  I named it Spinny and so far it is my best and only friend in Sydney!  I’ve caught myself on too many occasions talking to my fan.  I think the heat may be getting to my head…

 

I’d like to point out that nothing is air conditioned the way it is in the states, so everywhere I go I am still disgusting and drenched.  It’s hot here.  Have you gotten that yet?

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this covertly at my desk and trying to hide my laughter so my coworkers don't A) Think I'm crazy, and B) Catch me reading this. But I'm endlessly amused by your updates. Glad you found a KMart!

    - Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing the same thing. Hilarious! Glad you got the fan, I was getting concerned about dehydration. -- Lisa

    ReplyDelete