Monday, February 23, 2009

Food For Thought

Am I really what I eat?  If so, then I am a mix of Thai food, sushi, McDonalds soft serve cones, and Chinese candy.    Let me tell you, I am one happy Thaushioftservandy!  There is no doubt that Sydney has the best food in the world, and I am so very glad that I have the opportunity to enjoy it every day!

 

I want to take this opportunity to answer the second most frequently asked question about Australia (three people have asked me).  They DO have Outback Steakhouse in Australia!  The menus look almost exactly the same (yes, they have the bloomin’ onion)!  This made me start thinking.  Australia has American-Australian restaurants.  What would the American equivalent to Outback be here in Australia?  Where can I get some authentic Australian-American food?  (does that even make sense?  If it doesn’t read it again and again until it does.)

 

I consulted Google Maps to help me with my research.   Since my heart and most of my stomach still lives in Philadelphia, I decided to search for “American Sydney Philadelphia cheesesteak”.  Guess what the first result was.

 

Hooters.

 

Really?

 

An American’s perception of Australian food is steaks and Fosters.  By that logic, an Australian’s perception of American food is big tits and chicken wings.  I’m not sure if we should be proud of that or not.

 

After getting distracted by a colourful bird for about 10 minutes I eventually made my way back to the computer and looked at the second restaurant Google maps offered me.  The place was called The Sugarmill Hotel.  Sure enough they had a Philly cheesesteak under the Sugarmill Subs section of their menu (first mistake)!

 

Philly Cheesesteak:  Shredded beef (so far this looks correct), caramelised onions (spelled incorrectly with an Australian “s” instead of an American “z”), melted cheese (this looks delicious, except for that “s” back there), and …mustard?  WHAT??!??

 

I would LOVE to have somebody from this restaurant find my journal and explain to me in person why the HELL they consider mustard a main ingredient in a philly cheesesteak!  Did they just look at pictures of philly cheesesteaks on the internet and think, “Crikey, that cheese looks bright yellow!  It must have mustard in it!”  That’s cheez whiz, dipshits!

 

Ok, lets be honest here.  Philadelphians don’t have much to brag about (except the Phillies… FINALLY).  There aren’t many things people from Philly hold near and dear to their hearts, but do NOT mess with Wawa, Philly cheesesteaks, tastykakes, or Philly soft pretzels unless you want a beer bottle filled with pennies chucked at your head. 

 

Food for thought:  I wish I could have thoughts for food and eat my own thoughts.  It would probably taste awesome and save me SO much money.  Would thoughts be considered vegan?  They come from, but are not actually part of living creatures.  Hhhmmmm…

3 comments:

  1. I ususally read your posts to take a load off and relax my brain...

    not today!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's better, ignore that part of my email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure which is worse: the fact that the Outback Steakhouse question is one of the things everybody asks you, or the fact that I definitely asked you that question.

    ReplyDelete