Wednesday, February 4, 2009

First weekend and Australia day

First weekend

 

Life got a bit less exciting after the first few days.  I got a bank account and an iphone.  I met a few people, but no relationships got developed to the point where I would ever see them again.  I started dedicating all of my time to finding a place to live and worked on setting up my class schedule for the coming semester.

I looked at some really crappy houses.  Rent was cheap, but damn!  I have to keep reminding myself that I need an academic environment if I want to do well, so I’ve been declining “party” houses which are generally the cheapest.  I want friends that are fun, but not friends that will steal my laptop and sell it for drug money.  I don’t want to accidently step on a hypodermic needle while walking to get a glass of water late at night (I mention this because it was a story told at one of the houses I looked at).  No matter how much I tried, the cheap side of me just wouldn’t let me check out any expensive places.

Finally my father said it best.  How often do you get to live in Sydney?  Treat it like a long vacation and live well.  He was absolutely correct, although a bit out of character (how do you think I learned to be cheap?).  I don’t want to be miserable every day I’m here!  I decided to bite at a very expensive offer for a room in a suburb about a 20 min walk north called Glebe. 

I love this house!  I need to get pictures.  It was furnished and as soon as he showed me the open bedroom I was sold.  My entire life I’ve always wanted a room with a private balcony!  I had to have it no matter what the cost, so I decided to suck it up and throw all of my cash down the toilet to take the room.

The only problem was that he was still looking for people to take the other rooms.  I might end up with creepy people, but it’s a gamble I was willing to take.  I think I am an agreeable person and will hopefully get along with whomever else lives there. 

So yeah.  I will eventually have a place to live, but not for a week because it is still being renovated.  I can’t wait!

By the way, asian food is amazing and cheap here.  I got a a smoked eel sushi roll for ONE DOLLAR aud, which is about $.70 usd!!   After that I had a huge tub of Thai food for 6 bucks!  I love it!

 

 

Australia Day:

 

Today is apparently Australia day.  I took the train to meet one of my sister’s friend at a park for food drinks and Frisbee.  I’m still a bit overwhelmed by everything and I was probably boring, but it was really nice to be able to sit down and talk to people!  Everybody seemed very friendly and it was a great change of scenery!

It eventually started raining so I headed back to my room.  On the way I picked up some great cheap sushi and got totally drenched (for the first time not from sweat), but it was worth it!

When I got back to my room I looked in my mirror and noticed that I had an unusually long hair growing in my right eyebrows.  Now, I have naturally bushy eyebrows (thanks dad), and normally I wouldn’t waste my time writing to my family and friends about my body hair abnormalities, but daaaamn!  How in the hell did I not see this before???   It was seriously about an inch long!  It just amazed me.   Totally blew my mind!  I tried to get a picture but it really didn’t do it justice because it curled and looked shorter.  Seriously, how did I not see this before??

I also burnt my lip as a result of extremely poor judgment, but I won’t bore you with that story.

1 comment:

  1. Hey John, Wes Gibson here. Just found this from your facebook page and am imagining your voice in my head while reading it. GL with the heat, I'm sure you'll acclimate sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete